What is Cholesterol?
Do you know what it is?
Have you ever stopped and wonder how many foods you eat each day that contains this molecule?
Well I am using this video to help you my viewers to understand more about this molecule.
Cholesterol is a waxy, fat like substance found in the blood stream and cells of the body. This naturally occurring substance plays a critical role in the formation of cell membranes and the manufacture of hormones. only a small amount of functions is needed to carry out these functions so the presence of additional cholesterol poses a risk to the body.
How cholesterol works?
This molecule does not dissolve in the blood stream but is transferred in and out of the cell by carriers called low density lipoproteins (LDL) and high density lipoproteins (HDL). When cholesterol increases more lipoproteins is needed to be produced to transfer it across the cell. LDLs are bad because too much of it result in plaque build up in the artery wall which leads to a condition know as atherosclerosis. The arteries are hardened and clogged which can lead to a heart attack or stroke. On the other hand HDL is a good carrier since it aids in the removal of cholesterol from the arteries into the liver and out of the body.
How is cholesterol determined in the body?
A blood test can be done. The levels of cholesterol varies in a person’s age, weight and sex.
An LDL level above 160 is high while an HDL level below 40 is too low. This places someone at risk for plaque build up. 75% of the cholesterol is made in the body while the other 25% is obtained from our diet. It is found in foods such as meat, eggs and liver. Eating less saturated fats from animals is a first step in lowering cholesterol levels and living a healthy life style.
This video was beneficial in helping me understand more about the effects cholesterol. A possible way to better this video is maybe the additional of more pictures to show the effects this molecule has on our body. I enjoyed it sice it was short and to the point.
The video is about a young boy named Everet who was diagnosed with galactosemia at birth. He has grown up and is still able to survive with the help of his family and changing his lifestyle to accommodate this rare genetic disorder. He is unable to eat any dairy products such as milk, butter and cheese. He avoids foods high in galactose such as beans.
I have learnt more about this disease since it is the first time I ever heard about this disease and its effects.
Sugar is on my mind…haha
This video shows the ten steps in glycolyis. It deals with the breakdown of glucose into its various forms with the aid of the different enzymes to form pyruvate. Hope you enjoyed it like I did. 🙂
Oh waw!! this looks sooooo cool. This video shows bio-luminescence in jellyfishes.
The role of Aequorin and GFP in Bioluminescence of Aequorea victoria:
Aequorin is made of three calcium binding domains and coelenterasine. when it is stimulated it releases an influx of calcium ions which binds to the domains. the protein complex is then catalysed to Apoaequorin in an excited state of coelenteramide. As coelenteramide relaxes blue light is emitted. This light energy excites the chromatophore in nearby green fluorescent proteins.
This is a short video showing the simple test for carbohydrates to determine which sugar is a pentose or hexose.
A pentose reacts with acid and is converted to furfural which condenses with orcinol in the presence of ferric ions to yield a bluish green colour.
A hexose reacts with orcinol to produce a 5-hydroxymethyl furfural which firms a yellow brown colur.
Bial’s test is a qualitative test.
This video shows statistical reports from various doctors around the world. It gives an idea of how people suffering with this disease is able to live life. Hope u learn something from this video. My sympathy goes out to all those people suffering under these harsh, painful conditions.
This video is very informative and essential in the knowledge of amino acids in biochemistry 1.
I am sure that after watching this video you would know ALL the components of the cell…it’s a very catchy tune with a lil rhyming. Be sure to look at it!
Components of a cell:
This video was beneficial in identifying the different parts of both plant and animal cell of eukaryotes. The song is very catchy and the use of graphics was excellent.
A point to note is that animal cells do no have a cell wall or chloroplast but contain lysosomes and centrioles which are absent in a plant cell.